With over 30 years experience in the language field and my professional attention to semantics, structure and grammar, I’m able to ensure that your project is delivered on time and in keeping with how you wish the written word to achieve your aims.
I can undertake as much or as little of the writing process as you wish. This ranges from proofreading drafts written by you – through copy-editing modifications – to actually writing the text for you to your specifications.
Please note that I will not write essays required for student assessment in accredited courses. The institutions assessing such work may take Academic Misconduct disciplinary action against a student who has not submitted their own work.
I guarantee my full commitment to understanding your project and not resting until it’s right and you’re happy with the result.
What you can expect from me:
- A total commitment to your project from start to finish
- The ability to deliver a product that will exceed your expectations, within your timeframe
- Expertise developed over decades, that’s focused on all aspects of written texts
- Close communication with you throughout the process
Copy-editing & Proofreading
Clients often request a proofreading-only service to eliminating errors in areas such as:
Experience, however, has shown that many projects require more than proofreading. Conveying information in the most effective manner possible depends, amongst other considerations, on:
- cohesion, logical flow and development of ideas and meaningful causal links
- sentence structure variation: simple, compound and complex
- voice: passive/active, formality and paragraphing,
Online automated grammar checks can perform basic proofreading, but only when the exact meaning and intention of the text is understood by a computer. This is not always the case.
The example below shows a proofreading attempt by an online grammar correction service that doesn’t understand the text’s meaning. Automated editing services are dependent on a computer understanding the topic of any text being edited. They are a time-saving tool suited to simpler, more straightforward texts. This example from an academic paper, clearly illustrates where the task is better performed by a human reader with experience and copy-editing skill (see Academic Journal Article: sample #1, below).
These examples clearly show where simply proofreading would not have delivered the best possible result. Copy-editing became necessary in each case.
- Copy-editing, Proofreading – Academic Journal Article: sample #1An example of copy-editing required for an academic research paper written by a non-native English speaker
- Copy-editing, Proofreading – Academic Journal Article: sample #2An example of copy-editing required for an academic research paper written by a non-native English speaker
- Copy-editing – Insight Siam Tours BrochureAn example of copy-editing the text for a brochure promoting Thai tourism.
Expertise and experience in a variety of genres, including, but not limited to:
- webpage content
- operational guidelines/instructions
- Academic Writing – How Academic English courses can lead to Chinese students’ success at western universitiesThe objective in writing this lecture was to help reduce the anxiety amongst 70 IELTS tutors faced with transitioning to AE courses.
- Creative Blog Writing – The intrigue of doors and portalsThe objective of this written piece was to introduce an album of door and portal images from around the world.
- Creative Writing – Finding a suitable wife in China: my choice or theirs?The objective in writing this novel was to create a culturally focused narrative about relationships in China.
As a qualified and experienced teacher, I also offer tuition in English language skills, particularly in academic writing for reports, research papers and journal articles:
- private one-on-one, or
- small group sessions